Are you thinking of creating an online presence for yourself, but you are not sure if you should start a blog or a YouTube channel? We’re talking about blogging against YouTube in 2022 and which one you should choose.
Should I start a blog or a YouTube channel? If you find it easy to write and prefer not to be on camera, you should start a blog. If you’re not bothered by the camera and are confident in learning video editing skills, a YouTube channel is best for you. We dive into each detail and help you decide what to choose.
Blogging vs. YouTube
The process of starting a blog was easier for me than making a video on YouTube. It took me a long time to get out of my comfort zone to start my YouTube channel and learn new skills that I did not have before, such as shooting and editing videos. At first, like every other YouTuber, it was weird for me to be on camera and basically talking to myself when I started.
However, I’m really happy to start both, as they have both helped to grow my online business to where it is today. I now have the ability to work full time from home in this online business that I run through my blog and YouTube channel.
But what should you choose? Blogging or YouTube?
1. Ease of being on camera
2. Required Skills
- Basic Photography Skills – If you want to take your own photos. Or you can use stock photos for resort websites that do not require 100% original photos.
- Writing Skills – You will need to know basic writing, how to outline a post, and how to write fluent and grammatically correct sentences. Again, this is something you can learn on time, or you can use tools to help you do this more easily.
- Basic Graphic Design Skills – You will need a very basic graphic design knowledge to help you create logos, featured images, Pinterest Pin Graphics or any other social media design you may need.
- SEO Knowledge – You will need to know at least some very basic SEO to get a chance to rank your blog post in Google search or Pinterest search. This is the way to view your blog posts and get traffic to them.
- Basic Photography Skills – You will need photography skills for your YouTube channel because you will need to use photos for your thumbnails and graphics that you can present in your video.
- Video Recording Skills – You will need to learn how to record video properly, set a good background for your videos, basic lighting knowledge and how to use your camera settings to get good quality video.
- Video Editing Skills – Then you will need to learn editing software to be able to edit your videos. You do not need to know the fancy editing techniques or use pro transitions. Only a few basic video edits work well.
- Basic Graphic Design Skills – Basic graphic design knowledge is required to create attractive thumbnails for YouTube videos. Thumbnails are a very important part of watching your video, because when they stumble upon your video, it is the first thing people see and it determines whether they click on it or not.
- SEO Knowledge – YouTube is a search engine, so you need basic search engine optimization knowledge to help you rank on YouTube and get more views on your videos.
3. The equipment you need
- Laptop with internet connection – To start writing blog posts, all you need is a laptop with good internet connection. Other physical tools are not essential to maintaining a successful blog.
- Camera (Optional) – A camera is optional depending on the type of blog you run and where you write. Clearly, if it’s a very visual kind of resort like photography, food or fashion, a good camera is essential. But for many other places, you can actually get away with using stock photos for some of your blog posts.
- Laptop with Internet connection – To start creating videos for your YouTube channel, you will obviously need a laptop with a good internet connection.
- A good camera – A good camera is really important when you start a YouTube channel, because the video quality is great to grow on the platform. You can start shooting video on your smartphone, but you will need to invest in a proper camera as it grows very fast.
- Microphone (Optional) – A separate microphone is an option, depending on how good your camera is at recording audio or how often you need to record audio for your video.
- Video Editing Software – Video editing software is another essential part of a YouTube channel. You can even use the very basic thing for free iMovie. But you need some kind of software to do basic editing of your videos.
- Hosting and Domain Package – A self-hosting blog is essential if you want to make this a money-making platform. You can purchase a hosting and domain package from Bluehost, which I highly recommend for bloggers who are just starting out. This usually costs about $ 3.95 a month, which is a very small investment to start an online business.
- There is no charge for joining the platform – creating a YouTube channel and posting videos on it is completely free, so you do not have to pay anything to join the platform.
- A smartphone with a good camera to get started – To start creating video, you at least need a good camera with good audio quality on your smartphone. However, you will have to invest in a better quality camera as this is growing very fast.
- Camera & Microphone Finally – A good camera and microphone for shooting video will help take your content to the next level and ensure that your videos are in good quality.
5. Where your audience hangs
Would they like to read a post or watch a video?
6. Competition for your resort
7. Keyword research and SEO
8. Ways to monetize a blog against a YouTube channel
- Advertising shows – You connect to an ad network that allows you to place ads within the content of your blog, and you earn money from each of those ads. For your blog, there are multiple choice options in the ad networks you can join to make money this way. For example: Google Adsense, Mediavine, Ezoic, Adthrive, etc.
- Affiliate Marketing – You can place affiliate links in your blog posts and earn a commission when someone makes a purchase through your link.
- Sponsored Posts – Brands or companies pay you to create a post about their products or services that they offer.
- Selling physical or digital products – You can also monetize your blog by selling physical or digital products.
- Sales Services – Another way to monetize a blog is to offer your services such as training, consulting, website development, branding services, graphic design and more.
- Show Advertising – You can also monetize your YouTube channel through show ads, but the only difference is that Google Adsense is the only option here.
- Affiliate Marketing – Like a blog, you can earn money by putting affiliate links in your information box.
- Sponsored Videos – Brands will usually pay you to include their product in your videos in the opening section of the video for 2-3 minutes, depending on the contract you agree to.
- Selling physical or digital products – You can take people from your YouTube channel to your products or even display them on your videos.
- Sales Services – You can also specify the services you offer in your videos, but usually you will need another platform such as a blog that showcases your services in detail.
Blog Vs Vlog Revenue
- The revenue you earn from your blog or your YouTube channel can vary greatly depending on your monetization strategies.
- If we’re talking about display ads, Google Adsense’s RPM (or price = rate per 1000 sessions) is much lower than a high-end network like Mediavine.
- Your RPM varies depending on your location, the country where most of your audience is, how often they watch your video or how they read your blog post.
- It’s difficult to set an average average number for each blog or channel, as each site is very different. But $ 5 RPM is very common for Google Adsense and most likely you will see a $ 20- $ 30 RPM for Mediavine.